• Terms of Employment FAQ
  • 1
    How many hours will I work in a week?

    A full time Senior Medical Officer (SMO) will work an average of 40 hours per week split into clinical and non-clinical sessions. SMOs are also required to participate in after hours on call and call back rosters; the frequency of this is dependent on the service and will be detailed in the job size (availability allowance) component of the letter of offer.

  • 2
    What is a Job Size?

    The job size is the average number of weekly hours carried out by an SMO in a particular service. The job size consists of clinical sessions (Out-patient clinics, theatre lists etc), non-clinical sessions (departmental meetings, teaching sessions and Continuing Medical Education etc) and rostered after hours on call and call back.

  • 3
    What is an Availability Allowance?

    SMOs are required to participate in after hours on call rosters. In recognition of this an availability allowance is included as part of the job size. The allowance paid is determined by the frequency of the call and immediacy of the response that is required.

  • 4
    Will I be entitled to Continuing Medical Education leave?

    Northland District Health Board recognises the importance of encouraging continued education and professional development in order for SMOs to remain fully informed and practised in their profession. Full Time employees are entitled to 10 days leave per year (pro rata for part time employees) for the purposes of Continuing Medical Education and are granted reimbursements to the sum of $16,000pa to enable this.

  • 5
    How much Annual Leave will I be entitled to?

    Full time employees are provided with 6 weeks annual leave on full pay (pro rata for part time employees). Any leave not taken in one year may be carried over to a maximum of 2 years accrual.

  • 6
    Will Northland DHB contribute towards my Superannuation Fund?

    Northland District Health Board will contribute up to 6% of your gross taxable salary, at the rate of one dollar per dollar you contribute, into an approved superannuation scheme of your choice. This contribution shall be reduced by the amount, if any, that is contributed to a recognised Kiwisaver scheme.

  • 7
    Can you help with the costs of relocation?

    Assistance with the costs associated with relocation can be negotiated prior to appointment.

  • 8
    Will I be reimbursed for Work Related Expenses?

    Full time employees can be reimbursed for the full cost of work related expenses such as Practicing Certificates, Medical Indemnity Insurance, Vocational Registration fees, college membership fees, membership of other approved relevant professional associations and fees for the maintenance of professional standards programmes. In addition Northland District Health Board will also reimburse you for work related phone calls and provide free car parking on site.

    You can visit the Association of Salaried Medical Specialists

  • MCNZ Registration FAQ
  • 1
    What type of registration will I need?

    All practicing doctors must be registered in an authorised “scope of practice”, this determines the type of work a doctor is allowed to do. There are 5 scopes of practice, General Scope, Provisional General Scope, Vocational Scope, Provisional vocational Scope and Special Purpose Scope.

    General Scope allows doctors to work in a collegial relationship ensuring continued professional development. International medical graduates will be required to work for a designated time under supervision and will be granted Provisional General Scope.

    Vocational Scope allows doctors to work in a specific scope of practice for which they have the appropriate vocational training and qualifications. Again, international medical graduates will be required to work for a designated period of time under supervision and will be granted provisional Vocational Scope.

    Special Purpose Scope-Locum Tenens allows doctors to work in a specific scope of practice for which they have the appropriate vocational training and qualifications for up to 6 months but is not a pathway to permanent registration.

    Doctors wishing to practice as Specialists (consultants) with the appropriate post graduate qualifications will need to gain Provisional Vocational Registration. If you wish to work for 6 months or less or would like to start work before your Provisional Vocational Registration application has been finalised you may be eligible for Locum Tenens registration.

  • 2
    What are the Criteria for Gaining Provisional Vocational or Locum Tenens Registration?

    To be eligible to apply for vocational or locum tenens registration you must have a primary medical qualification listed in the Avicenna Directory. You must also have an approved post graduate qualification. Please see the attached list of examples of recognised qualifications, if your specialty is not listed you can find a complete list here.

    There is also a set of clinical experience requirements that you should meet, we have some examples of these for you to view, if your specialty is not listed you can view a complete list here.

    You must also meet the English Language requirements.

  • 3
    What Countries are listed as Comparable Health Systems?

    The following list of countries are listed as comparable health systems: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Israel, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom and The United States of America.

  • 4
    How long does it take to process an application for Registration?

    It can take up to 6 months to process an application for Vocational Registration. Applications for General and Locum Tenens applications take approximately 20 working days once complete application is received by the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ). You will need to attend an interview with a MCNZ representative before you start work and once you have arrived in NZ to verify your verifications, you will be required to present your original qualifications and certificates at this interview.

  • 5
    Will I be required to sit an English Language test?

    The English test requirements apply to all applicants for registration. The Council’s experience is that graduates from New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the United States, Canada and some South African medical schools where English is the sole language of instruction, and where English is the graduate’s first language, are able to comprehend and communicate effectively in English and therefore are not required to pass an approved English test. If this is not the case a doctor may be exempt from passing IELTS if he or she provides:

    • Evidence that he or she has worked continuously as a registered doctor in an organisation where English was the first and prime language for at least two years within the five years immediately prior to application; and
    • The names and contact details of at least two senior doctors who speak English as a first language, and who can attest to the applicant’s ability to comprehend and communicate effectively in English in a clinical setting with both patients and professional colleagues. These referees will be contacted by the MCNZ.
  • 6
    Will I have to pay Registration Fees?

    There are fees associated with registration with the MCNZ. Senior Medical Officers are able to be reimbursed for the full cost of registration on commencement of employment.

  • 7
    What forms will I need to complete?

    On acceptance of a position with Northland District Health Board the SMO Recruiter will send you all the necessary registration forms to complete and provide you with assistance completing them if required.