‘Achieving change in our lives’ workshop
Through our speakers we are promoting that change is possible and anyone can do this with life experience, commitment, strong support and dedication.
Mana Tāne Ora o Aotearoa (National Māori Men’s Health Coalition) in partnership with Manaia and Te Taitokerau PHOs and Northland District Health board will be hosting a Tāne Ora regional hui.
When: 13 September 2017, 9am – 4:30pm
Where: Manaia Health PHO, 28 Rust Street, Whangarei
Proudly supported by
Guest Speakers include:
- Phil Paikea – Ambassador for the ‘It’s Not Ok’ anti-violence campaign and community leader
- Mike King – Comedian, TV personality and advocate on mental health/ suicide prevention
- Riki Nia Nia and Lee Luke – Mana Tāne Ora o Aotearoa
- Ra Dallas – Ngai Tahu community leader /Te Whenua Hou Champion
- Richie Koroi – Kaikohe community leader/ Patu Aotearoa Gym owner
Panel Discussion covering workshop themes – MC for day – Dean Nathan
The workshop is free to participants. However, due to the venue size we have to limit participation to 80.
If you are interested in registering for the workshop, then click here.
A copy of the pānui for the workshop can be downloaded here.
Why the workshop?
Māori men fare poorly compared with other New Zealanders on a number of indicators. Māori male life expectancy in Northland was 71.3 years compared to non-Māori at 80.6 years. The leading causes of death for Northland Māori men were Ischaemic heart disease, diabetes mellitus, accidents, lung cancer and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases. The underlying causes are also linked to social marginalism, poverty, inequalities and unequal access to health services.
By bringing together Māori men from across Northland we are hoping to start a conversation and journey that will generate discussion and action and promote the view you are in control and all things are possible.
The Tane Ora Workshop objectives are:
- Build a network of Māori men in Northland who can champion men’s health
- Share stories that give life experiences on how change can happen
- Create a forum where information can be exchanged and collaborative approaches are developed to further Māori men’s health in Northland.
MANA TANE ORA O AOTERAROA
Mana Tāne Ora o Aotearoa the National Māori Men’s Health Coalition (Provider), was mandated at the inaugural conference held in June 2009. The inception of a National Māori Men’s Health Coalition is underpinned by a call for proactive responsiveness to the relatively poor health statistics and lower life expectancy of Māori men, and the need for nationally networked approaches and strategies to address the health and social issues of Māori men in Aotearoa.
For more information click here: http://www.taneora.co.nz/